Why Use a Rain Barrel?
It Just Makes Sense!
When you use a rain barrel, you’re capturing chlorine-free water for use in your yard that would otherwise go down storm sewers or into areas of your property where it’s not needed. By “harvesting” this natural resource, you can redirect the water where you need it.
- Brings first-rate water right to your garden. No chlorine, no calcium carbonate.
- Diverts water away from your house that might otherwise leak into the foundation and potentially cause flooding.
- Cuts down on your city water consumption.
- Demonstrates water conservation to neighbors, family and friends.
Purchase a Rain Barrel – $65
- To purchase your Rain Barrel, have your credit card handy and call Sadie at 816.561.1061 ext 135
- Click Here to learn about JOCO’s Cost Share Program, you may qualify for a 50% rebate!
Rain Barrel Workshops
$65 includes supplies to make the rain barrel. You’ll take home a fully assembled barrel ready to use. You can also schedule a Rain Barrel workshop for your group.
“I would like to recommend your Rain Barrel seminars to everyone in Kansas City and beyond. You have a great presentation that is both informative and fun. ” ~ Bill Arnold, Aquabarrel Rain Barrel
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does shipping cost?
We are unable to ship our barrels at this time. We offer these barrels at a low cost to residents of the Kansas City region so they can be reused rather than sent to a landfill.
Where can I pick up barrels?
NOTE: Rain barrels must be picked up from 3 Trails Community Recycling Center. If you purchase your barrels online, be sure to bring your confirmation e-mail.
How much do rain barrels cost?
Finished 55 gallon barrels are $65 each. Limit five per month.
Are these barrels ready-to-use?
Yes, these barrels are ready to be installed at your home, business or place of worship.
Can you show me how to make a rain barrel?
Yes, we can! Come to one of our Rain Barrel Workshops! For $65, you will receive a 55 gallon barrel, the Rain Barrel Parts Package, plus great instructions. Space is limited, and registration is required. Call 816-561-1087.
Can I get the Rain Barrel Parts Package without going to the workshop?
At this time, we only have finished rain barrels available for purchase.
What parts are included in the finished rain barrels?
The Rain Barrel includes the following items:
- ¾” hose bibb
- 1 ¼” nylon hose barb
- 1 ¼” sump pump hose, 6′ long
- Durable plant basket, 9″ round
- Fiberglass window screen to wrap outside basket
- Bicycle tire tube elastic to tie fiberglass screen to basket
- What tools will I need to install my rain barrel?
The tools you will need are:
- Saw – for cutting the downspout where the barrel will be located
- Blocks or bricks – something to set the barrel at a higher elevation (in oder to access your watering can!)
How big are these barrels? Will they fit in my car?
The 55 gallon barrels are 23″ in diameter and 36″ tall.
You might want to measure your trunk or backseat just to make sure you can easily transport them.
Will I really ever collect 55 gallons of water?
Yes! One inch of rain on the roof of a 1,000 sq. ft. house measures about 600 gallons of water. With the right setup, you could fill more than ten barrels with each inch of rain!
What do I do with my barrel in the winter?
While the rain barrels sold by Bridging The Gap are made from sturdy plastic it is possible that frozen water could expand and burst the seams of your barrel. Make sure to leave your spigot in the open position so that water does not collect. If you choose to move your barrel indoors remember to replace the missing portion of downspout so that water will drain all the way to ground level.
Sources: MARC’s Watershed protection program; American Rainwater Catchment Systems Association